This is a European marketing professional in my early 30's currently doing research on the best Masters in Marketing in the US. I have always dreamed to pursue postgraduate marketing education in North America and I feel like now is the perfect timing. There is a rise on specialist masters degrees in the US and I prefer to dive deeper in marketing rather than taking generic business courses.
I am considering to take an Executive MBA later after the age of 40.
My education objectives? To gain an in-depth knowledge of marketing theories, frameworks, marketing planning, marketing strategy. I am leaning towards the communication, strategic side or marketing.
My profile? I have 6 years of experience running the marketing departments of small car dealerships as well as 1 year experience working in the Customer Experience department of an automotive manufacturer in Europe.
Career objectives? To secure a position in either a marketing agency, in an automotive manufacturer or in a leading consulting company. In the future I would like to run my own marketing agency.
Criteria to choose the best Masters in Marketing?
1. Global reputation/recognition of the institution/program. This is the number 1 factor for me as I am constantly relocating and plan to continue developing an international career. I need to choose a program that adds value to my resume, that impresses recruiters and that opens me doors anywhere in the world
2. Quality of the program: faculty, lectures, curriculum, facilities, location
3. Career Services: connections with big employers, networking events, job fairs. In general, how much support will I get to land my dream job
Programs I am considering in no order of preference:
- MS in Integrated Marketing from NYU School of Professional Studies (New York City)
- Master's in Integrated Marketing Communications from Georgetown University School of Continuing Education (Washington DC)
- MS in Marketing from Baruch Zicklin School of Business CUNY (New York City)
- MS in Marketing from University of Austin McCombs School of Business ( Austin)
- MS in Marketing from University of Texas at Dallas Naveen Jindal School of Management (Richardson, Dallas)
- MS in Marketing from University of Southern California Marshall School of Business (Los Angeles)
Personal impressions on each program based on research, feedback:
NYU: university with a very powerful brand name recognized worldwide. The best curriculum equipping you with marketing communications skills (how to create and run marketing campaigns as well as the possibility to choose concentration). Location in the media capital of the world is a big plus with plenty of marketing internships/jobs within reach. The weaknesses are the prohibitive tuition fees and the 2-years length. Although as an international student I think you are allowed to work while taking the program (all classes are offered in the evening)
Georgetown: very well respected institution with a global reputation for the quality and rigor of its programs. It is located in the capital of the US. However it is a relatively new program and needs improvements in the curriculum. The offer of courses is still limited.
CUNY: it is by far the most affordable program of all, located in NYC. However, I have doubts about the reputation/recognition of the school outside NYC.
Austin: it is according to the rankings the best city to live in US and to find marketing jobs. If I am not wrong it is the best business school in Texas and one of the best in the country.
UT Dallas: it offers a very appealing curriculum with specialty tracks and has the best website in terms of the breadth of information on the program. It is also more affordable than most other programs.
USC Marshall: alumni speak very positively about the quality of the lectures as well as the multiple networking events held during the year. Apparently the Trojan Network is not a myth and truly helps students to find full-time jobs after graduation. The program promises to offer world class education. I particularly like very much the style of the director Dr Badame.
A few questions for you:
1. Should I opt for a traditional Master of Science in Marketing with typical core courses like Consumer Behavior, Marketing Management, Marketing Strategy? Or should I choose instead a program with a focus on integrated marketing communications with tactical courses like Campaign Strategy & Execution, Campaign Planning & Management?
2. What programs do you think are a better fit?
3. What universities are the most prestigious across the world?
3. What cities offer better job/internship opportunities? NYC, Dallas, Austin, Los Angeles?
4. Am I missing any other top Master´s in Marketing?
5. Is it better to choose a business school over a school of professional studies?
6. Is there any equivalent program in Europe with the same level of quality and worldwide reputation? Could you please mention the best MSc Marketing in Europe?
I need to make a decision and am very hesitant.
Look forward to your opinions, suggestions, and general feedback. Thanks!
[Edited by Marketer1985 on Jul 01, 2018]