Future MBA - Netherlands

Tushar92

Hi Everyone,

I am applying for MBA in The Netherlands, however, I am not sure about which institute is the best, I am planning to switch industry post MBA and stay in The Netherlands. I am from the hospitality background with over 6 years of operational and management experience. Apart from English, I speak German and learning Dutch currently. My options are ABS (Amsterdam MBA), TIAS and Nyenrode. I have experience in Europe and in the Middle East.

Hi Everyone,

I am applying for MBA in The Netherlands, however, I am not sure about which institute is the best, I am planning to switch industry post MBA and stay in The Netherlands. I am from the hospitality background with over 6 years of operational and management experience. Apart from English, I speak German and learning Dutch currently. My options are ABS (Amsterdam MBA), TIAS and Nyenrode. I have experience in Europe and in the Middle East.
Duncan

The best school depends on your goals. Which industry do you want to move into? If you speak German, why not work there? 

The best school depends on your goals. Which industry do you want to move into? If you speak German, why not work there? 
Tushar92

So here's the story, my wife and I both wanted to move to a place where we both can work and settle down in Europe and it's easier for my wife to learn Dutch than German. Plus I prefer Netherlands to Germany. The industries that I am interested in are consultancy, Finance and supply chain, Mainly I want to focus on industries where my previous managerial experience can be of benefit. 

So here's the story, my wife and I both wanted to move to a place where we both can work and settle down in Europe and it's easier for my wife to learn Dutch than German. Plus I prefer Netherlands to Germany. The industries that I am interested in are consultancy, Finance and supply chain, Mainly I want to focus on industries where my previous managerial experience can be of benefit. 
Andy776

Hey, also a major avantage of the Netherlands is that almost everyone speaks English (some still don't but it is mainly the older generation (80+)). 
Well, according to rankings, the "best" MBA in the Netherlands is RSM, especially for consultancy and supply chain. Rotterdam holds the largest port in Europe and the university has strong links with them (including teaching port logistics and management to executives there). 
Amsterdam Business School is also good. They have been making very good progress over the years. Also, being located in Amsterdam does bring some advantages (Schiphol airport, major train station, rich cultural city) but also some negatives (rent prices are very high, a lot of tourists and what goes with it). 
But as Duncan mentioned, pick your school based on the industry and job you want to target. Rankings are one thing but you should look at it with a grain of salt. Each school has their reputation and area in which they are the strongest.
So, it depends on what you want to achieve with your degree but I can say that overall the education in the Netherlands is good.
Good luck with your choice!  

[Edited by Andy776 on Nov 27, 2021]

Hey, also a major avantage of the Netherlands is that almost everyone speaks English (some still don't but it is mainly the older generation (80+)).&nbsp;<br>Well, according to rankings, the "best" MBA in the Netherlands is RSM, especially for consultancy and supply chain. Rotterdam holds the largest port in Europe and the university has strong links with them (including teaching port logistics and management to executives there).&nbsp;<br>Amsterdam Business School is also good. They have been making very good progress over the years. Also, being located in Amsterdam does bring some advantages (Schiphol airport, major train station, rich cultural city) but also some negatives (rent prices are very high, a lot of tourists and what goes with it).&nbsp;<br>But as Duncan mentioned, pick your school based on the industry and job you want to target. Rankings are one thing but you should look at it with a grain of salt. Each school has their reputation and area in which they are the strongest.<br>So, it depends on what you want to achieve with your degree but I can say that overall the education in the Netherlands is good.<br>Good luck with your choice!&nbsp;&nbsp;
Tushar92

Thanks for the feedback and My first choice was RSM and I also prepared for the GMAT as well. However, I was not able to get the desired GMAT score which is the reason I have to wait until next intake or choose an alternative. Now, If I stick to RSM as my only choice I will loose another year (I am not working at the moment) and other choices are cheaper compared to RSM. So because of that ABS, TIAS and Nyenrode are my choices (Plus for 2 of them I don't have to retake GMAT).

Thanks for the feedback and My first choice was RSM and I also prepared for the GMAT as well. However, I was not able to get the desired GMAT score which is the reason I have to wait until next intake or choose an alternative. Now, If I stick to RSM as my only choice I will loose another year (I am not working at the moment) and other choices are cheaper compared to RSM. So because of that ABS, TIAS and Nyenrode are my choices (Plus for 2 of them I don't have to retake GMAT).
Andy776

Hey, I understand if you want to move to the Netherlands this year then I would opt for either ABS or Tilburg. Both provide quality education at a cheaper price. 
But then, an important thing you should do is compare both curriculum and see which one you feel most comfortable with. 
Also, living in Tilburg will be much less costly but Amsterdam offers more (museums, more restaurant diversity, etc). But then, you could move to Amsterdam after your MBA in Tilburg.
Both are good, so make your choice based on your research and most importantly your gut feeling!
Good luck :) 

Hey, I understand if you want to move to the Netherlands this year then I would opt for either ABS or Tilburg. Both provide quality education at a cheaper price.&nbsp;<br>But then, an important thing you should do is compare both curriculum and see which one you feel most comfortable with.&nbsp;<br>Also, living in Tilburg will be much less costly but Amsterdam offers more (museums, more restaurant diversity, etc). But then, you could move to Amsterdam after your MBA in Tilburg.<br>Both are good, so make your choice based on your research and most importantly your gut feeling!<br>Good luck :)&nbsp;
Tushar92

All fair points, So the TIAS MBA is more appealing to me and the curriculum is more aligned with my goals, the campus is in Utrecht which is not that far from Amsterdam and Rotterdam or even Den Haag. My major concern is the brand value of the two, does ABS weigh more in terms of brand value since they are part of the famous UVA and has the Triple Crown Accreditation or go with TIAS which is also in the top 100 as per QS. 

All fair points, So the TIAS MBA is more appealing to me and the curriculum is more aligned with my goals, the campus is in Utrecht which is not that far from Amsterdam and Rotterdam or even Den Haag. My major concern is the brand value of the two, does ABS weigh more in terms of brand value since they are part of the famous UVA and has the Triple Crown Accreditation or go with TIAS which is also in the top 100 as per QS.&nbsp;
Andy776

Hey, that's why I said to take rankings with a grain of salt. An MBA should be about giving you the tools you need in order to switch country, industry and/or position. Rankings are here to help but should not take over the first and overarching objective of an MBA.
And if I can, great that you identified the program you have more affinity with :) 

Hey, that's why I said to take rankings with a grain of salt. An MBA should be about giving you the tools you need in order to switch country, industry and/or position. Rankings are here to help but should not take over the first and overarching objective of an MBA.<br>And if I can, great that you identified the program you have more affinity with :)&nbsp;
Tushar92

Hey, Thanks both of them are appealing and have their pros and cons, I will apply to UVA and TIAS and see what advantages I will get in terms of scholarships as well. Thanks for your help.

Hey, Thanks both of them are appealing and have their pros and cons, I will apply to UVA and TIAS and see what advantages I will get in terms of scholarships as well. Thanks for your help.
Duncan

Given your work experience I would suggest you consider a part time degree at RSM, which might give you more time to improve your Dutch and network more effectively. 

Given your work experience I would suggest you consider a part time degree at RSM, which might give you more time to improve your Dutch and network more effectively.&nbsp;
Tushar92

Thank you for your feedback! I will definitely have a look.

Thank you for your feedback! I will definitely have a look.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Amsterdam, Netherlands 24 Followers 25 Discussions
Amsterdam, Netherlands 23 Followers 35 Discussions
Full Profile
Tilburg, Netherlands 21 Followers 75 Discussions