Profile Review

tgfjp
Hi

I am applying to business schools in Europe for the full time MBA program. I need some guidance on the schools that I should target.

Snap: 31 year old Indian male with IT background

Test Scores:
GMAT: 680 (Q: 49, V: 32, AWA: 4, IR: 6)
TOEFL: 110 (R 27, W 26, S 30, L 27)
I am reasonably confident of scoring 700 if I retake GMAT.

Educational Background:

UG:
Discontinued engineering midway due to health reasons
B.Arts (English) part-time - completed (61%)

PG:
PG Diploma in Management full-time - completed (CGPA: 2.61/4.33 B). Considered equivalent to MiM/MBA

Professional Experience:
HCL Technologies - 3.5 years - Manager - Sales Operations & Strategy for BFSI vertical
Cognizant - 1 year - Manager - Management consultant for marketing team (internal)

International Exposure:
Visited US 5 times and UK once on business travel

Foreign Languages:
Elementary French - studied in high school for several years as a second language. I am absolutely fine learning German, French or any other foreign language if required.

Motivation to do MBA:
1. Global mobility, international exposure.
2. Want to move to a client facing technology consulting role in firms such as Deloitte, PwC, etc. I'm currently in an internal consulting role with limited growth and no client interface.
3. Although I hold a PG diploma in management already, I obtained it when I did not have any full-time post graduate work experience and could not extract full value. Some colleges do not accept MBA applications due to my PG, I am applying to those which do.

Targeted Schools:

Unlikely:
HEC
Oxford
Cambridge

Safe/Stretch
Manchester - applied
Durham - applied
WHU - applying
HHL - applying
Cranfield - applying
Warwick
RSM

Admit:
SMU Cox (US) - with $60,000 scholarship

Course Start: Ideally Fall 2020. Also okay for Jan 2021 or Fall 2021 if it's worth the wait for the school. No preference over 1 or 2 year MBA. 1 year would mean lower opportunity cost and two years would give sufficient time for networking.

I want to know:
1. Which of my targeted schools I have a good chance of getting into
2. Should I retake GMAT
3. Should I target some other schools. I prefer not to join US schools due to the current political climate regarding work permits and also because I don't think I have a good enough profile for any other top 15 schools.

Please suggest.
Hi

I am applying to business schools in Europe for the full time MBA program. I need some guidance on the schools that I should target.

Snap: 31 year old Indian male with IT background

Test Scores:
GMAT: 680 (Q: 49, V: 32, AWA: 4, IR: 6)
TOEFL: 110 (R 27, W 26, S 30, L 27)
I am reasonably confident of scoring 700 if I retake GMAT.

Educational Background:

UG:
Discontinued engineering midway due to health reasons
B.Arts (English) part-time - completed (61%)

PG:
PG Diploma in Management full-time - completed (CGPA: 2.61/4.33 B). Considered equivalent to MiM/MBA

Professional Experience:
HCL Technologies - 3.5 years - Manager - Sales Operations & Strategy for BFSI vertical
Cognizant - 1 year - Manager - Management consultant for marketing team (internal)

International Exposure:
Visited US 5 times and UK once on business travel

Foreign Languages:
Elementary French - studied in high school for several years as a second language. I am absolutely fine learning German, French or any other foreign language if required.

Motivation to do MBA:
1. Global mobility, international exposure.
2. Want to move to a client facing technology consulting role in firms such as Deloitte, PwC, etc. I'm currently in an internal consulting role with limited growth and no client interface.
3. Although I hold a PG diploma in management already, I obtained it when I did not have any full-time post graduate work experience and could not extract full value. Some colleges do not accept MBA applications due to my PG, I am applying to those which do.

Targeted Schools:

Unlikely:
HEC
Oxford
Cambridge

Safe/Stretch
Manchester - applied
Durham - applied
WHU - applying
HHL - applying
Cranfield - applying
Warwick
RSM

Admit:
SMU Cox (US) - with $60,000 scholarship

Course Start: Ideally Fall 2020. Also okay for Jan 2021 or Fall 2021 if it's worth the wait for the school. No preference over 1 or 2 year MBA. 1 year would mean lower opportunity cost and two years would give sufficient time for networking.

I want to know:
1. Which of my targeted schools I have a good chance of getting into
2. Should I retake GMAT
3. Should I target some other schools. I prefer not to join US schools due to the current political climate regarding work permits and also because I don't think I have a good enough profile for any other top 15 schools.

Please suggest.
Duncan
A colleague started teaching at Cox. She's impressed by it.

Take a look at:-
GMAT Tiers - strong schools for your GMAT www.find-mba.com/board/27082

Best schools for international students' placement http://www.find-mba.com/board/41143

Do you need to speak the local language? www.find-mba.com/board/34713

How to use LinkedIn to find the best school www.find-mba.com/board/33571

Best schools for international students' placement http://www.find-mba.com/board/41143

How to use LinkedIn to find the best school www.find-mba.com/board/33571
tgfjp

How to use LinkedIn to find the best school www.find-mba.com/board/33571[/quote]

I was told by a current student at Cox that the learning experience is superb and that they have strong networks with the Dallas business community. Plus, there is an option to specialize in Business Analytics or Operations in the second year which makes the MBA STEM eligible. Nonetheless, I think it is too much of a risk for international students to study in the US at schools outside top 15 in the current climate. I read that there are changes expected to post study visas including STEM extensions in the near future.
[quote]A colleague started teaching at Cox. She's impressed by it.

How to use LinkedIn to find the best school www.find-mba.com/board/33571[/quote]

I was told by a current student at Cox that the learning experience is superb and that they have strong networks with the Dallas business community. Plus, there is an option to specialize in Business Analytics or Operations in the second year which makes the MBA STEM eligible. Nonetheless, I think it is too much of a risk for international students to study in the US at schools outside top 15 in the current climate. I read that there are changes expected to post study visas including STEM extensions in the near future.
Duncan
The low average GMAT at Cox also shows that it's overwhelmingly serving US students. In that context, its low score for international mobility could be forgiven. Speaking as someone who has studied at HHL and MBS, I think Cox would be a much better investment than there or Durham (which is relatively weak for international mobility).

I am concerned that the Business Analytics concentration at Cox reports placement under 80%. I'd ask to speak with a recent graduate about that. Perhaps it's just very small numbers?

PS I guess the STEM options from the ITOM department have where the international students are concentrated?

[Edited by Duncan on Nov 27, 2019]

The low average GMAT at Cox also shows that it's overwhelmingly serving US students. In that context, its low score for international mobility could be forgiven. Speaking as someone who has studied at HHL and MBS, I think Cox would be a much better investment than there or Durham (which is relatively weak for international mobility).

I am concerned that the Business Analytics concentration at Cox reports placement under 80%. I'd ask to speak with a recent graduate about that. Perhaps it's just very small numbers?

PS I guess the STEM options from the ITOM department have where the international students are concentrated?
tgfjp
I heard that around 10 out of ~120 students in the incoming class of 2019 at Cox are international. Apparently, the previous year there was only one international student i.e. on F1. Although, there are other people of Asian/other origin with US green cards who are studying there as well I think. Why would recruiters risk hiring internationals when they have so many local candidates at the school, especially when those recruiters are hiring only for domestic jobs (99%)?

I need to check on the number of students concentrating in BA. They started a full time MS in BA pretty long back I heard and seem to have well developed BA electives.

I am surprised to hear that Cox would be a better investment than MBS/HHL from international mobility perspective. Language barrier apart, how would WHU compare with Cox? You mentioned elsewhere that WHU serves international recruiters and its career services are also ranked well.

Also, would Warwick be a significant upgrade over MBS/Cranfield or not much of a difference in terms of placements?
I heard that around 10 out of ~120 students in the incoming class of 2019 at Cox are international. Apparently, the previous year there was only one international student i.e. on F1. Although, there are other people of Asian/other origin with US green cards who are studying there as well I think. Why would recruiters risk hiring internationals when they have so many local candidates at the school, especially when those recruiters are hiring only for domestic jobs (99%)?

I need to check on the number of students concentrating in BA. They started a full time MS in BA pretty long back I heard and seem to have well developed BA electives.

I am surprised to hear that Cox would be a better investment than MBS/HHL from international mobility perspective. Language barrier apart, how would WHU compare with Cox? You mentioned elsewhere that WHU serves international recruiters and its career services are also ranked well.

Also, would Warwick be a significant upgrade over MBS/Cranfield or not much of a difference in terms of placements?
Duncan
>.Cox would be a better investment than MBS/HHL from an international mobility perspective.

I'd say it's a better investment overall, but maybe not from an international mobility perspective. As I say, you'd need to speak to students. I don't need to rehearse the shortage of STEM graduates in the US. There are loads of strong domestic candidates, but international students might be more able in quant areas like finance, operations etc.

WHU and Cox have similar careers services. Cox has a higher percentage of students moving quickly into work.

Cranfield and Warwick are similar in terms of % employed and international mobility. I'd pick Warwick over Cranfield if I was making a larger career transition (higher ranking and a bigger network) but Cranfield over Warwick if my focus was accelerating in my current area, because of the fourth term at Cranfield.
>.Cox would be a better investment than MBS/HHL from an international mobility perspective.

I'd say it's a better investment overall, but maybe not from an international mobility perspective. As I say, you'd need to speak to students. I don't need to rehearse the shortage of STEM graduates in the US. There are loads of strong domestic candidates, but international students might be more able in quant areas like finance, operations etc.

WHU and Cox have similar careers services. Cox has a higher percentage of students moving quickly into work.

Cranfield and Warwick are similar in terms of % employed and international mobility. I'd pick Warwick over Cranfield if I was making a larger career transition (higher ranking and a bigger network) but Cranfield over Warwick if my focus was accelerating in my current area, because of the fourth term at Cranfield.
tgfjp
Got you. Thank you for taking the time out and sharing your insights.
Got you. Thank you for taking the time out and sharing your insights.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Full Profile
Jouy-en-Josas, France 83 Followers 341 Discussions
Oxford, United Kingdom 56 Followers 241 Discussions
Cambridge, United Kingdom 39 Followers 246 Discussions
Manchester, United Kingdom 53 Followers 466 Discussions
Durham, United Kingdom 50 Followers 367 Discussions
Düsseldorf, Germany 67 Followers 173 Discussions
Leipzig, Germany 57 Followers 176 Discussions
Bedford, United Kingdom 39 Followers 331 Discussions
Coventry, United Kingdom 76 Followers 535 Discussions