EMBA for a young middle manager : Is it suggested? IMD vs LBS

Hello everybody,

and thanks in advance for your attention :)

I would like to know your point of view about 2 points:

1. If it makes sense for you for a middle manager to do an EMBA (in a top tier BS)

2. If the answer to point 1 is positive, which one do you think is better.

More information below:
I am a 32 years old middle manager with experience in Consumer goods manufacturing and Lean operations, I worked in P&G in Italy and I currently work in Ferrero in Luxembourg (I manage several regions for the Ferrero's lean manufacturing program)

My goals would be:
1. Continue to grow and challenge myself by learning from great professionals from different sectors and countries

2. Have a top tier education (in the past it was not possible because I come from a family that could not afford it)
 3. Have the possibility to apply the know-how developed in other industries
4. Of course, advance in my career (advancement from the 80,000 euros I currently earn to 100,000 euros).

I have received offers from IMD and LBS (Switzerland and UK would be the places where I want to develop my network)

Thank you very much for your time and your attention !1f642

[Edited by Giorgio Pignalosa on Dec 08, 2022]

Hello everybody,<br>
and thanks in advance for your attention :)<br><br>&nbsp;I would like to know your point of view about 2 points:<br><br>&nbsp;1. If it makes sense for you for a middle manager to do an EMBA (in a top tier BS)<br><br>
2. If the answer to point 1 is positive, which one do you think is better.<br><br><br><br>
More information below:<br>I am a 32 years old middle manager with experience in Consumer goods manufacturing and Lean operations, I worked in P&amp;G in Italy and I currently work in Ferrero in Luxembourg (I manage several regions for the Ferrero's lean manufacturing program)<br><br><br><br><br><br>
My goals would be:<br>1. Continue to grow and challenge myself by learning from great professionals from different sectors and countries<br><br>
2. Have a top tier education (in the past it was not possible because I come from a family that could not afford it)<br>&nbsp;3. Have the possibility to apply the know-how developed in other industries<br>4. Of course, advance in my career (advancement from the 80,000 euros I currently earn to 100,000 euros).<br>
I have received offers from IMD and LBS (Switzerland and UK would be the places where I want to develop my network)<br><br>Thank you very much for your time and your attention !:slightly-smiling-face:
Duncan

These are two great choices. I had a 28 year old engineering manager in my LBS EMBA study group who had excellent career progression, far beyond the realistic goal you set for yourself. So, yes, I think this will work. 

IMD and LBS are great schools.
- IMD gives you more of a 'management development' approach, so more of an emphasis on soft skills. Because of the structure of the programme, you might not have a cohort experience. IMD is really strong in meeting the needs of Swiss businesses, so developing board-level skills, strategic direction rather than winning followers internally, and a more structured approach to sustainability will be strengths there. The alumni network will be geared around Switzerland and its neighbours. 
- LBS has more of an emphasis on leading peers and developing group work inside leadership teams: I think that reflects the different role of hierarchy in the Anglo-Saxon world. It's also at the leading edge of business scholarship, so the content will be more up to date and more global in orientation. It has a more extensive alumni network and a broader range of electives.  

These are two great choices. I had a 28 year old engineering manager in my LBS EMBA study group who had excellent career progression, far beyond the realistic goal you set for yourself. So, yes, I think this will work.&nbsp;<br><br>IMD and LBS are great schools.<br>- IMD gives you more of a 'management development' approach, so more of an emphasis on soft skills. Because of the structure of the programme, you might not have a cohort experience. IMD is really strong in meeting the needs of Swiss businesses, so developing board-level skills, strategic direction rather than winning followers internally, and a more structured approach to sustainability will be strengths there. The alumni network will be geared around Switzerland and its neighbours.&nbsp;<br>- LBS has more of an emphasis on leading peers and developing group work inside leadership teams: I think that reflects the different role of hierarchy in the Anglo-Saxon world. It's also at the leading edge of business scholarship, so the content will be more up to date and more global in orientation. It has a more extensive alumni network and a broader range of electives.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Excellent Duncan ,
Thank you very much, You have been precised and focused on your answer! Really appreciated :) 

For any information or question (of course if you need) in my field of expertise feel free to reach me out on linkedin (Giorgio Pignalosa ) It would be a pleasure for me to return the favor :)

PS: The realistic goal is due to the conservative assumption I have done on short term ROI 

Grazie , 

Giorgio 

[Edited by Giorgio Pignalosa on Dec 08, 2022]

Excellent Duncan ,<br>Thank you very much, You have been precised and focused on your answer! Really appreciated :)&nbsp;<br><br>For any information or question (of course if you need) in my field of expertise feel free to reach me out on linkedin (Giorgio Pignalosa ) It would be a pleasure for me to return the favor :)<br><br><br>PS: The realistic goal is due to the conservative assumption I have done on short term ROI&nbsp;<br><br>Grazie ,&nbsp;<br><br>Giorgio&nbsp;

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Lausanne, Switzerland 45 Followers 149 Discussions
London, United Kingdom 165 Followers 468 Discussions

Other Related Content

Sep 27, 2022

e-Fellows to Host Two In-Person Sessions in Germany with Top Business Schools

News Sep 27, 2022