Comparing salaries in Asia

ezra
I just read an MBA jobs trends report, and found some salary information that might be useful for those looking at schools in Asia. Here is the breakdown of average salaries of MBA grads working in Asia for multinational companies broken down by country (in US$):

China: $59,700
Hong Kong: $87,500
Japan: $92,000
Malaysia: $75,500
Thailand: $42,500
Vietnam: $48,000

Not much is really surprising, except for that fact that salaries in Malaysia are generally higher than China. That makes University of Malaya, the only internationally-accredited university in the country, look very good.

Of course, salaries in Hong Kong are high but the city is notoriously expensive. If I was looking at Hong Kong, I'd check out HKU, CUHK, HKUST, etc. No shortage of great , accredited schools there.

Japan is harder. It's generally pretty expensive there and there isn't as much of a b-school scene as in Hong Kong. Keio Business School and Temple come to mind as good places to go in Japan.
I just read an MBA jobs trends report, and found some salary information that might be useful for those looking at schools in Asia. Here is the breakdown of average salaries of MBA grads working in Asia for multinational companies broken down by country (in US$):

Not much is really surprising, except for that fact that salaries in Malaysia are generally higher than China. That makes University of Malaya, the only internationally-accredited university in the country, look very good.

Of course, salaries in Hong Kong are high but the city is notoriously expensive. If I was looking at Hong Kong, I'd check out HKU, CUHK, HKUST, etc. No shortage of great , accredited schools there.

Japan is harder. It's generally pretty expensive there and there isn't as much of a b-school scene as in Hong Kong. Keio Business School and Temple come to mind as good places to go in Japan.
shewta

i have read disscusion on MBA in malaysia.
everyone had been saying that doing an MBA from there is crap. How it is possible that salaries there is high as compare to china
<blockquote>I just read an MBA jobs trends report, and found some salary information that might be useful for those looking at schools in Asia. Here is the breakdown of average salaries of MBA grads working in Asia for multinational companies broken down by country (in US$):

</blockquote>

i have read disscusion on MBA in malaysia.
everyone had been saying that doing an MBA from there is crap. How it is possible that salaries there is high as compare to china
Duncan
Perhaps the best paid MBAs in Malaysia studied elsewhere?
Perhaps the best paid MBAs in Malaysia studied elsewhere?
shewta
is malaysian economy is so good that they can afford MBA grad. at high salaries.
mostly in which field.... they hire MBA grad.
is malaysian economy is so good that they can afford MBA grad. at high salaries.
mostly in which field.... they hire MBA grad.
maubia
1) Japan: $92,000
2)Hong Kong: $87,500
3)Malaysia: $75,500
4)China: $59,700

I would have expected Singapore in third position.. (And the 75500$ would make sense there)
1) Japan: $92,000
2)Hong Kong: $87,500
3)Malaysia: $75,500
4)China: $59,700

I would have expected Singapore in third position.. (And the 75500$ would make sense there)
Duncan
Singapore will be above Malaysia. Perhaps it is not in that article?
Duncan
The major multinationals hiring MBAs in Malaysia are in technology, energy, finance and consulting: especially Intel, Dell, HP IBM, Accenture, Shell, Standard Chartered and Frost & Sullivan. Ericsson and Citi hire fewer MBAs, but at a more senior level.

They have very often studied at international universities with presence in Singapore: University of South Australia; University of Southern Queensland; Manchester Business School; Charles Sturt University and the University of Strathclyde. Generally, the senior people have all studied at Australian or UK universities (Imperial and also Nottingham stands out: it has a large campus in Malaysia), or at INSEAD.

The three big Malaysian MBA recruiters (Telekom, Mazis and Petronas) recruit mostly from local universities, especially Multimedia University, Universiti Utara Malaysia and Universiti Putra Malaysia, but Strathclyde, RMIT and Melbourne also feed in there.
The major multinationals hiring MBAs in Malaysia are in technology, energy, finance and consulting: especially Intel, Dell, HP IBM, Accenture, Shell, Standard Chartered and Frost & Sullivan. Ericsson and Citi hire fewer MBAs, but at a more senior level.

They have very often studied at international universities with presence in Singapore: University of South Australia; University of Southern Queensland; Manchester Business School; Charles Sturt University and the University of Strathclyde. Generally, the senior people have all studied at Australian or UK universities (Imperial and also Nottingham stands out: it has a large campus in Malaysia), or at INSEAD.

The three big Malaysian MBA recruiters (Telekom, Mazis and Petronas) recruit mostly from local universities, especially Multimedia University, Universiti Utara Malaysia and Universiti Putra Malaysia, but Strathclyde, RMIT and Melbourne also feed in there.
ezra

It was, I just didn't list it. Here's the full list - remember, these are hires by only multinational companies, not local ones:

1. Japan $92k
2. Hong Kong $87.5k
3. Singapore $82.5k
4. Malaysia $75.5k
5. S. Korea $70.3k
6. China $59.7k
7. Vietnam $48k
8. Thailand $42.5k
<blockquote>Singapore will be above Malaysia. Perhaps it is not in that article? </blockquote>
It was, I just didn't list it. Here's the full list - remember, these are hires by only multinational companies, not local ones:

1. Japan $92k
2. Hong Kong $87.5k
3. Singapore $82.5k
4. Malaysia $75.5k
5. S. Korea $70.3k
6. China $59.7k
7. Vietnam $48k
8. Thailand $42.5k

Duncan
Considering the low cost of living in Malaysia, that is a nice salary.
Considering the low cost of living in Malaysia, that is a nice salary.
ezra
Indeed - in Kuala Lumpur you can find apartments for a fraction of the cost of similar ones in Singapore - along the lines of what you'd see in a city like Berlin. I think Penang in the northwest is where the growth is at - a lot of big tech firms like Motorola, Dell and Seagate have plants or other infrastructure there.
Indeed - in Kuala Lumpur you can find apartments for a fraction of the cost of similar ones in Singapore - along the lines of what you'd see in a city like Berlin. I think Penang in the northwest is where the growth is at - a lot of big tech firms like Motorola, Dell and Seagate have plants or other infrastructure there.
shewta
Indeed - in Kuala Lumpur you can find apartments for a fraction of the cost of similar ones in Singapore - along the lines of what you'd see in a city like Berlin.

sir you had been taking about salary in asian countries. What are your views about india?

thank you Duncan for your reply
<blockquote>Indeed - in Kuala Lumpur you can find apartments for a fraction of the cost of similar ones in Singapore - along the lines of what you'd see in a city like Berlin.

sir you had been taking about salary in asian countries. What are your views about india?

thank you Duncan for your reply
Duncan
Do you have a more specific question in mind? I'm sure you are not actually asking what I think of India.
Do you have a more specific question in mind? I'm sure you are not actually asking what I think of India.
shewta
sir i wanted to ask about salary in india??
sir i wanted to ask about salary in india??
Duncan
What is your question about salaries in India?

Take a look at https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=average+MBA+salary+India&aq=f&sugexp=chrome,mod=10&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
What is your question about salaries in India?

Take a look at https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=average+MBA+salary+India&aq=f&sugexp=chrome,mod=10&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 25 Followers 38 Discussions
Shenzhen, China 4 Followers 196 Discussions
Hong Kong, Hong Kong (PRC) 20 Followers 75 Discussions
Yokohama Kanagawa, Japan 13 Followers 9 Discussions
Tokyo, Japan 7 Followers 6 Discussions
Hong Kong, Hong Kong (PRC) 40 Followers 79 Discussions
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 39 Followers 12 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jan 27, 2020

The Financial Times Updates Global MBA Ranking for 2020

News Jan 27, 2020

MBA Programs in Southeast Asia: Tapping Into the Tiger Cubs

Article Oct 30, 2013

A number of accredited MBA programs are meeting specific needs in this fast-growing region

Hot Discussions