Affordable MBA with Decent Job Prospects

Hi-
I'm a 26 year old IT consultant with 6 years working experience in Singapore, and graduated from an Indonesian university with 3.6 GPA and planning to take GMAT. My career goal is to be a Project Manager (I'm currently started doing it, but I need more PM skills to excel on this area) -> Consulting/IT Manager or shift to a Management Consultant -> and eventually setting up a business.

Currently I'm looking for an MBA program that can add either consulting or general management skills, with opportunities to land a job after the MBA. Originally I was planning to choose Carlos III in Madrid, however the unemployment rate is getting higher over time, and lessen chances on the post-MBA job (correct me if I'm wrong!). Therefore I'm thinking of Canada with a good prospect on foreign talent's employment.

With my limited budget, and my country's limitation in getting a loan, I have shortlisted some of the biz school I've got from this board and sources (I was thinking that internship projects would be the best option to land post-MBA jobs):
- Ryerson Toronto - AACSB Accredited. Have options to choose either to complete an Internship Project, or Student Exchange
- HEC Montreal - AMBA, EQUIS, AACSB accredited. Consulting Project for its exit criteria
- Telfer Ottawa - EQUIS, AACSB accredited. Consulting Project as well
- SFU Beedie Vancouver - EQUIS, AACSB accredited. Consulting Project too

Do you think those schools have decent chances on landing a job in Canada? Moreover, as my only source is internet, I don't really know which one is the most reputable among the others.

Thanks and warm regards,
William

Hi-
I'm a 26 year old IT consultant with 6 years working experience in Singapore, and graduated from an Indonesian university with 3.6 GPA and planning to take GMAT. My career goal is to be a Project Manager (I'm currently started doing it, but I need more PM skills to excel on this area) -> Consulting/IT Manager or shift to a Management Consultant -> and eventually setting up a business.

Currently I'm looking for an MBA program that can add either consulting or general management skills, with opportunities to land a job after the MBA. Originally I was planning to choose Carlos III in Madrid, however the unemployment rate is getting higher over time, and lessen chances on the post-MBA job (correct me if I'm wrong!). Therefore I'm thinking of Canada with a good prospect on foreign talent's employment.

With my limited budget, and my country's limitation in getting a loan, I have shortlisted some of the biz school I've got from this board and sources (I was thinking that internship projects would be the best option to land post-MBA jobs):
- Ryerson Toronto - AACSB Accredited. Have options to choose either to complete an Internship Project, or Student Exchange
- HEC Montreal - AMBA, EQUIS, AACSB accredited. Consulting Project for its exit criteria
- Telfer Ottawa - EQUIS, AACSB accredited. Consulting Project as well
- SFU Beedie Vancouver - EQUIS, AACSB accredited. Consulting Project too

Do you think those schools have decent chances on landing a job in Canada? Moreover, as my only source is internet, I don't really know which one is the most reputable among the others.

Thanks and warm regards,
William
mba hipste...

All good, mid-tier programs. I would suggest that the HEC program is the superior one, if you speak French. If you don't speak French many of the consulting jobs in Quebec will be out of reach for you.

Next down would probably be Ottawa, followed by Ryerson and Beedie. But salaries will not vary tremendously between the four - you would probably be better off deciding where you want to study, since Toronto is different from Montreal; Vancouver is different from Ottawa, etc.

All good, mid-tier programs. I would suggest that the HEC program is the superior one, if you speak French. If you don't speak French many of the consulting jobs in Quebec will be out of reach for you.

Next down would probably be Ottawa, followed by Ryerson and Beedie. But salaries will not vary tremendously between the four - you would probably be better off deciding where you want to study, since Toronto is different from Montreal; Vancouver is different from Ottawa, etc.

Thanks mba hipster, really appreciate your input. I agree with you on the French language in Montreal, I would consider it twice since I don't speak the language. I'm quite surprised on the preference you put on Beedie although since it's accredited the same with Tefler, and the most expensive among those 3.

Thanks,
William

Thanks mba hipster, really appreciate your input. I agree with you on the French language in Montreal, I would consider it twice since I don't speak the language. I'm quite surprised on the preference you put on Beedie although since it's accredited the same with Tefler, and the most expensive among those 3.

Thanks,
William
mba hipste...

I was judging by the cohort's lower average GMAT scores, which usually correlate pretty closely with long-term value.

But don't get me wrong - there's not a huge difference between these schools (although HEC has the clear edge.) It will mostly depend on what city you want to study in.

I was judging by the cohort's lower average GMAT scores, which usually correlate pretty closely with long-term value.

But don't get me wrong - there's not a huge difference between these schools (although HEC has the clear edge.) It will mostly depend on what city you want to study in.

Thanks again. The GMAT cohort is definitely helpful for inputs, mba hipster!

Regards,
William

Thanks again. The GMAT cohort is definitely helpful for inputs, mba hipster!

Regards,
William

Hi All,

This article was insightful, but can you please shed some more light on comparing the following programs with each other, baring the location angle, keeping in mind the cohort, class strength, opportunities post MBA and Industry & Alumni network majorly. Additional information will also help tremendously.

1. Telfer business School
2. Wilfrid Laurier (Innovation & Entrepreneurship) (12 months - with business incubator working option
3. Beedie School of business (Simon Fraser University)
4. Ryerson

Hi All,

This article was insightful, but can you please shed some more light on comparing the following programs with each other, baring the location angle, keeping in mind the cohort, class strength, opportunities post MBA and Industry & Alumni network majorly. Additional information will also help tremendously.

1. Telfer business School
2. Wilfrid Laurier (Innovation & Entrepreneurship) (12 months - with business incubator working option
3. Beedie School of business (Simon Fraser University)
4. Ryerson
mba hipste...

None of these programs will have the same strength as those with status in the rankings. It's also hard to compare them since they're in very different locations: Ryerson is in Toronto, Beedie is in Vancouver, etc.

Complicating matters is that, apart from Beedie, none of these schools publish post-MBA career reports, so it's tough to get a clear picture of the career prospectives. Ask the schools directly.

None of these programs will have the same strength as those with status in the rankings. It's also hard to compare them since they're in very different locations: Ryerson is in Toronto, Beedie is in Vancouver, etc.

Complicating matters is that, apart from Beedie, none of these schools publish post-MBA career reports, so it's tough to get a clear picture of the career prospectives. Ask the schools directly.

Hey mba hipster, how do you see Ivey in comparison to the other schools mentioned in this thread? I am considering applying there.

Hey mba hipster, how do you see Ivey in comparison to the other schools mentioned in this thread? I am considering applying there.
mba hipste...

I think that in general, there's a gap between the non-ranked Canadian business schools, like Ryerson and Beedie, and those that are ranked in the FT. Ivey is ranked at the very bottom of the FT, so that's something. I suppose that it would ultimately depend on your goals and expectations as well.

I think that in general, there's a gap between the non-ranked Canadian business schools, like Ryerson and Beedie, and those that are ranked in the FT. Ivey is ranked at the very bottom of the FT, so that's something. I suppose that it would ultimately depend on your goals and expectations as well.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Montréal, Canada 41 Followers 55 Discussions
Vancouver, Canada 21 Followers 36 Discussions
Ottawa, Canada 20 Followers 29 Discussions
Toronto, Canada 47 Followers 66 Discussions

Other Related Content

Jun 26, 2020

MBA Application Deadlines: Spring 2021

News Jun 26, 2020

MBA Programs in Canada: Maple Trees, Bacon, and Business Schools?

Article Dec 15, 2010

Affordable and respected, Canadian business schools are luring international students north.