GMAT score needed for Low GPA

In college I had a low GPA (2.8 on a 4.0 scale.)

Now, I will take the GMAT so I can get into an MBA.

What GMAT score do I need?

I would like to study in the USA. The schools I am interested include Rutgers, Wisconsin School of Business, and UT Austin (McCombs.)
In college I had a low GPA (2.8 on a 4.0 scale.)

Now, I will take the GMAT so I can get into an MBA.

What GMAT score do I need?

I would like to study in the USA. The schools I am interested include Rutgers, Wisconsin School of Business, and UT Austin (McCombs.)
mba hipste...
It depends on a lot of factors. How much work experience do you have? Generally, the more work experience you have, the less important GPA becomes, although they'll still see your lower GPA as somewhat of a red flag.
It depends on a lot of factors. How much work experience do you have? Generally, the more work experience you have, the less important GPA becomes, although they'll still see your lower GPA as somewhat of a red flag.

OK, in terms of work experience I have about 5 years total, spread across two jobs - 2 years as a junior web developer and then almost three years now as a development project manager (in a different company). Is that enough do you think?
OK, in terms of work experience I have about 5 years total, spread across two jobs - 2 years as a junior web developer and then almost three years now as a development project manager (in a different company). Is that enough do you think?
mba hipste...
Your work history has a decent arc to it, which will look good. However, you're still around the average at the b-schools you're looking, in terms of actual number of years of work experience, so I doubt that your work experience will be enough to mitigate the low GPA.

My guess is you're going to need a really, really good GMAT score just to get your foot in the door. Certainly at least 700 - probably more - aim for 750+.
Your work history has a decent arc to it, which will look good. However, you're still around the average at the b-schools you're looking, in terms of actual number of years of work experience, so I doubt that your work experience will be enough to mitigate the low GPA.

My guess is you're going to need a really, really good GMAT score just to get your foot in the door. Certainly at least 700 - probably more - aim for 750+.
Oh, 750+ is quite high. I will get to studying. :) Thanks for the comments.
Duncan
A nice way to think here is about the standard devation. Most programmes have several applicants for each seat. The accepted applicants' scores are not much better than the rejected ones; they just have better applications and experience. If you are below the average on any one score, then you need to be well above the standard deviation on more than one other. An okay GMAT and a low GPA says you can work hard for a month but not for an academic year. So, it does not balance out. You need an excellent score and perhaps one other outstanding thing to make up for it.
A nice way to think here is about the standard devation. Most programmes have several applicants for each seat. The accepted applicants' scores are not much better than the rejected ones; they just have better applications and experience. If you are below the average on any one score, then you need to be well above the standard deviation on more than one other. An okay GMAT and a low GPA says you can work hard for a month but not for an academic year. So, it does not balance out. You need an excellent score and perhaps one other outstanding thing to make up for it.
mba hipste...

Yes. Also, start thinking about your personal statements: you'll need to address that elephant in the room from the start: tell them that you know your GPA is low, and maybe have an idea of how you want to explain it. Are you in a different place now? Why do you feel you can take on the academic rigors of an MBA at this point?
[quote]Oh, 750+ is quite high. I will get to studying. :) Thanks for the comments.[/quote]
Yes. Also, start thinking about your personal statements: you'll need to address that elephant in the room from the start: tell them that you know your GPA is low, and maybe have an idea of how you want to explain it. Are you in a different place now? Why do you feel you can take on the academic rigors of an MBA at this point?
Thank you sir.
Thank you sir.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Newark, New Jersey 50 Followers 67 Discussions
Madison, Wisconsin 18 Followers 44 Discussions
Austin, Texas 39 Followers 74 Discussions

Related Articles

Do you Need a High GPA to Get Into a Top MBA?

By Seb Murray on Nov 05, 2018

MBA Application: What is a Good GMAT Score?

By Seb Murray on May 14, 2018

MBA Applications: How Important is the GMAT?

By Seb Murray on Mar 15, 2018

Can a Low GPA Hurt Your MBA Admissions Chances?

By M. Filtz on Aug 20, 2014

More Articles

Related Top 10 Lists

More Top 10 Lists

Hot Discussions