1st GMAT 600, 2nd 510

Ayon,

I applied for a Fulbright scholarship 2 years ago, but failed, so I know about the application process somehow. I wrote a Study/Research Objective, a Personal Statement and prepared 3 recommendations. So, hopefully, this experience will help to minimize my application time.
Can you suggest me some reading material to improve my CV?
What do you think about my age, 33 years old? Isn't it a bit too old to do an MBA? I will be 34 the next year and will be 36 when I graduate from a Business School. Are there many students in B schools in my age range, or even in the range of 30-35? I think I may find it a bit difficult to study with 25 years olds.:-) What do you think about this? But the fact is I feel like doing an MBA:-)

Thanks,
Shohrat

[Edited by shohrat6383 on May 16, 2016]

Ayon,

I applied for a Fulbright scholarship 2 years ago, but failed, so I know about the application process somehow. I wrote a Study/Research Objective, a Personal Statement and prepared 3 recommendations. So, hopefully, this experience will help to minimize my application time.
Can you suggest me some reading material to improve my CV?
What do you think about my age, 33 years old? Isn't it a bit too old to do an MBA? I will be 34 the next year and will be 36 when I graduate from a Business School. Are there many students in B schools in my age range, or even in the range of 30-35? I think I may find it a bit difficult to study with 25 years olds.:-) What do you think about this? But the fact is I feel like doing an MBA:-)

Thanks,
Shohrat
Ayon
Shohrat,

Simply type MBA resume on google search. There are tons of resume templates - most are by good universities.

Don't self doubt yourself my friend. In W&M there are many students who are 33-35. One guy had 3 kids and he had the 4th one while studying, We had many who were nearing 40 - they would drop their kids at school and then come to class. We also had several who were fresh out of undergrad. Age is just another number.

You won't find it difficult, the 25 year old will bring in fresh ideas and enthusiasm into your learning. I had more experience and that's why I got a position of Consultant rather than a Sr. Analyst.
During my MBA, I treat my mind as an empty cup eager to get it filled by the knowledge around me. Knowledge and skills know no age, gender, race, social or economical status. It doesn't matter from where I get my learning from - 25 or 45 year old. Enough Philosophy for one day ;)
Shohrat,

Simply type MBA resume on google search. There are tons of resume templates - most are by good universities.

Don't self doubt yourself my friend. In W&M there are many students who are 33-35. One guy had 3 kids and he had the 4th one while studying, We had many who were nearing 40 - they would drop their kids at school and then come to class. We also had several who were fresh out of undergrad. Age is just another number.

You won't find it difficult, the 25 year old will bring in fresh ideas and enthusiasm into your learning. I had more experience and that's why I got a position of Consultant rather than a Sr. Analyst.
During my MBA, I treat my mind as an empty cup eager to get it filled by the knowledge around me. Knowledge and skills know no age, gender, race, social or economical status. It doesn't matter from where I get my learning from - 25 or 45 year old. Enough Philosophy for one day ;)
maury
No, definitely not too old to do an MBA. Some career fields and companies (MBB consulting firms, for example,) might be harder to get into if you're older, but it depends on what you want to do after graduation. I wouldn't even think you'd be the oldest student in the class, depending on what schools you are looking at.
No, definitely not too old to do an MBA. Some career fields and companies (MBB consulting firms, for example,) might be harder to get into if you're older, but it depends on what you want to do after graduation. I wouldn't even think you'd be the oldest student in the class, depending on what schools you are looking at.
I took my 3rd GMAT few days ago and received a sad 550 (Q42, V24). My quant is higher than ever and verbal is lower than ever. My 1st Gmat was 600 (Q41, V31) and 2nd was 510 (Q35, V26). It seems to me that GMAT verbal is getting harder and harder by itself, otherwise how could I perform worse and worse on verbal?! Yes, when preparing for my 3rd attempt, I paid a very little attention to the verbal, but I still didn't expect this kind of outcome. My RC was in the lowest 5% in my second attempt, so I think it must be my weakest part again.
I want to end my adventure with GMAT and use my 1st score 600 to apply, but I don't know which school and which part of application to start from? Is it already time to start applying? Do I need to start the process with familiarizing myself with school requirements or should I look for a paid consultant to help me? Can anyone give me kind of guidance on this?

Thanks,
Shohrat

[Edited by shohrat6383 on Aug 01, 2016]

I took my 3rd GMAT few days ago and received a sad 550 (Q42, V24). My quant is higher than ever and verbal is lower than ever. My 1st Gmat was 600 (Q41, V31) and 2nd was 510 (Q35, V26). It seems to me that GMAT verbal is getting harder and harder by itself, otherwise how could I perform worse and worse on verbal?! Yes, when preparing for my 3rd attempt, I paid a very little attention to the verbal, but I still didn't expect this kind of outcome. My RC was in the lowest 5% in my second attempt, so I think it must be my weakest part again.
I want to end my adventure with GMAT and use my 1st score 600 to apply, but I don't know which school and which part of application to start from? Is it already time to start applying? Do I need to start the process with familiarizing myself with school requirements or should I look for a paid consultant to help me? Can anyone give me kind of guidance on this?

Thanks,
Shohrat
Hi guys,

Thank you for your contributions to this thread.
I have recently applied to 3 schools in UK (Durham, Birmingham and Leeds) and 5 schools in US (Oklahoma Price, Rice Jones, Houston Bauer, Uni of North Texas, and Uni of Oregon). I received offers from Durham (with partial scholarship), Leeds and University of Houston Bauer already. I am currenly waiting for the Leeds' decision on scholarship. I haven't received any response from the University of Birmingham yet, although I applied about 50 days ago. I have also applied to Oklahoma Price, Rice Jones, University of North Texas and University of Oregon. I am waiting for decisions from these schools now.
Our company is going to start its business in US, so I would most likely go to US unless I receive a very attractive offer from UK schools. If I can get into Rice, then I will try to choose that among other schools. However, I am puzzled between Houston Bauer and Oklahoma Price now. Can you give me some advice on this matter.
Hi guys,

Thank you for your contributions to this thread.
I have recently applied to 3 schools in UK (Durham, Birmingham and Leeds) and 5 schools in US (Oklahoma Price, Rice Jones, Houston Bauer, Uni of North Texas, and Uni of Oregon). I received offers from Durham (with partial scholarship), Leeds and University of Houston Bauer already. I am currenly waiting for the Leeds' decision on scholarship. I haven't received any response from the University of Birmingham yet, although I applied about 50 days ago. I have also applied to Oklahoma Price, Rice Jones, University of North Texas and University of Oregon. I am waiting for decisions from these schools now.
Our company is going to start its business in US, so I would most likely go to US unless I receive a very attractive offer from UK schools. If I can get into Rice, then I will try to choose that among other schools. However, I am puzzled between Houston Bauer and Oklahoma Price now. Can you give me some advice on this matter.
Duncan
What are your goals?
What are your goals?
What are your goals?

Our company will be expanding to several other countries in the next few years, and after graduation I will most likely manage its activities in those countries. In addition to traditional resale activities, we will be producing and selling our products. Another main direction in our business is supplying oil and gas equipment, and spare parts.

[Edited by shohrat6383 on Mar 17, 2017]

[quote]What are your goals?[/quote]
Our company will be expanding to several other countries in the next few years, and after graduation I will most likely manage its activities in those countries. In addition to traditional resale activities, we will be producing and selling our products. Another main direction in our business is supplying oil and gas equipment, and spare parts.
Duncan
I think you are right to focus on the US schools. The two year format is ideal for the sort of senior role you are preparing for.
I think you are right to focus on the US schools. The two year format is ideal for the sort of senior role you are preparing for.
If I have to choose between Oklahoma Price and Houston Bauer, which one would you suggest to choose? It seems to me that Price is better both in quality and price, isn't it? On the other hand I like the location of Bauer, Houston city. Our company most likely will locate its US business in Houston.

[Edited by shohrat6383 on Mar 19, 2017]

If I have to choose between Oklahoma Price and Houston Bauer, which one would you suggest to choose? It seems to me that Price is better both in quality and price, isn't it? On the other hand I like the location of Bauer, Houston city. Our company most likely will locate its US business in Houston.
Razors Edg...
Price is better in terms of its ranking in Businessweek and it's great for energy / oil&gas careers. So is Bauer though.

In the end, I don't think Price's Businessweek position is really enough of the edge to say that it's that much better. They're both excellent choices.
Price is better in terms of its ranking in Businessweek and it's great for energy / oil&gas careers. So is Bauer though.

In the end, I don't think Price's Businessweek position is really enough of the edge to say that it's that much better. They're both excellent choices.
Ayon
Priviet Shohrat,

Congratulations on your admits! Finally your hard work paid off. I would go with Bauer.

Oklahoma is more visible in rankings, but I don't think the program offers any distinctive quantified advantage over Bauer. If nothing else, Bauer will give you the advantage of a big city which is the hub for Energy/Oil&Gas. You'll have more opportunities to network there.

Why don't you ask Price MBA what specific advantage do they provide over schools in Houston?

I can see that Bauer has a lot of certificate offerings in Energy, in addition there is an Energy MBA. Maybe that will suit your needs better? I'd vote for Bauer.

[Edited by Ayon on Mar 20, 2017]

Priviet Shohrat,

Congratulations on your admits! Finally your hard work paid off. I would go with Bauer.

Oklahoma is more visible in rankings, but I don't think the program offers any distinctive quantified advantage over Bauer. If nothing else, Bauer will give you the advantage of a big city which is the hub for Energy/Oil&Gas. You'll have more opportunities to network there.

Why don't you ask Price MBA what specific advantage do they provide over schools in Houston?

I can see that Bauer has a lot of certificate offerings in Energy, in addition there is an Energy MBA. Maybe that will suit your needs better? I'd vote for Bauer.
Thank you, Razors Edge, for your valuable comment.

[Edited by shohrat6383 on Mar 23, 2017]

Thank you, Razors Edge, for your valuable comment.
Hi Ayon,
Privet:-)

Nice to hear from you again.
I'm going to do more research on these two schools in the following days. I think Price has the advantage on tuition fees and program duration (16 months) over Bauer. However, Bauer has better location, and more experienced cohort (6-7 years).
Hi Ayon,
Privet:-)

Nice to hear from you again.
I'm going to do more research on these two schools in the following days. I think Price has the advantage on tuition fees and program duration (16 months) over Bauer. However, Bauer has better location, and more experienced cohort (6-7 years).

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

University Park, Pennsylvania 11 Followers 61 Discussions
Austin, Texas 39 Followers 74 Discussions
East Lansing, Michigan 16 Followers 55 Discussions
Houston, Texas 19 Followers 36 Discussions
College Station, Texas 38 Followers 60 Discussions
Norman, Oklahoma 14 Followers 12 Discussions
Waco, Texas 7 Followers 10 Discussions

Related Articles

How to Prepare For the GMAT

Jul 31, 2017

We hear from five MBA application consultants about how to best prepare for the GMAT.

MBA Admissions: How to Improve Your GMAT Score

Jan 20, 2017

The GMAT isn’t the make-or-break factor for getting into a top-choice business school, but a high score always puts the shine on an application. The test can be grueling, however; here are some pointers and insight for how to get an upper hand on the standardized exam.

Can a Low GMAT Score Kill Your B-School Dreams?

Aug 30, 2013

Why your GMAT score is important, and what it tells MBA admissions people about you

More Articles

Related Top 10 Lists

More Top 10 Lists

Hot Discussions