Sports business management

Hey everybody, I'm still going to apply for my MBA next year, but am thinking about changing my focus... What about sports management? I like sports, and I can't afford to buy my own sports team, hahaha, but maybe this would be a good way to break into the business... Maybe start a memorabilia company, help manage a college team, or maybe work for an apparel company. I'm not really sure what I want to do yet, but I was looking at these programs, maybe somebody has some input:

SDSU Sports Business Management MBA. San Diego would be nice, there's a lot of sports-related industry there. But the website looks a bit dodgy...

ASU Carey Sports Business MBA. Same, Phoenix is a sports hotspot. Ranked pretty well too.

USC Marshall. I don't think they have a dedicated sports program, but they have a Sports Business Institute with a lot of good resources.

Any others??

Hey everybody, I'm still going to apply for my MBA next year, but am thinking about changing my focus... What about sports management? I like sports, and I can't afford to buy my own sports team, hahaha, but maybe this would be a good way to break into the business... Maybe start a memorabilia company, help manage a college team, or maybe work for an apparel company. I'm not really sure what I want to do yet, but I was looking at these programs, maybe somebody has some input:

SDSU Sports Business Management MBA. San Diego would be nice, there's a lot of sports-related industry there. But the website looks a bit dodgy...

ASU Carey Sports Business MBA. Same, Phoenix is a sports hotspot. Ranked pretty well too.

USC Marshall. I don't think they have a dedicated sports program, but they have a Sports Business Institute with a lot of good resources.

Any others??

I'm also interested in the SDSU sports MBA program. Any comments on it?

I don't have a background in the industry, but my dream job is to be in brand marketing for a baseball team. I live in San Diego so the SDSU program would be ideal.

I'm also interested in the SDSU sports MBA program. Any comments on it?

I don't have a background in the industry, but my dream job is to be in brand marketing for a baseball team. I live in San Diego so the SDSU program would be ideal.
ralph

SDSU's program is pretty interesting for those looking to get into sports management. The specialized curriculum is a good mix of finance, organizational behavior and operations - subjects that will be beneficial in the industry. The kicker, though, is the six-month long internship - I think that hands-on experiences and the resulting connections are always essential, and probably moreso in sports.

Otherwise, there aren't a lot of sports management specific programs. I know George Washington has one, but that's pretty far from San Diego. There's one at the University of South Florida as well, which is probably a good place to go because of the great sports ecosystem there - Tampa's got an NFL team, an NHL team, and an MLB team.

SDSU's program is pretty interesting for those looking to get into sports management. The specialized curriculum is a good mix of finance, organizational behavior and operations - subjects that will be beneficial in the industry. The kicker, though, is the six-month long internship - I think that hands-on experiences and the resulting connections are always essential, and probably moreso in sports.

Otherwise, there aren't a lot of sports management specific programs. I know George Washington has one, but that's pretty far from San Diego. There's one at the University of South Florida as well, which is probably a good place to go because of the great sports ecosystem there - Tampa's got an NFL team, an NHL team, and an MLB team.
ezra

Also, UNC Charlotte has got an MBA concentration in Sports Marketing and Management - with an optional internship component. Good location for sports as well, and maybe you could land an internship with the Tar Heels. :)

Also, UNC Charlotte has got an MBA concentration in Sports Marketing and Management - with an optional internship component. Good location for sports as well, and maybe you could land an internship with the Tar Heels. :)

Thanks all. I think I'm going to apply to SDSU, but I'll also apply to the George Washington program as well. And I'm considering the University of Ohio/Tiffin Sports Management program - this one seems to have strong connections with sports teams and organizations all over the country.

Thanks all. I think I'm going to apply to SDSU, but I'll also apply to the George Washington program as well. And I'm considering the University of Ohio/Tiffin Sports Management program - this one seems to have strong connections with sports teams and organizations all over the country.
ezra

And I'm considering the University of Ohio/Tiffin Sports Management program - this one seems to have strong connections with sports teams and organizations all over the country.

Good school. If it's not too late, you can also check out UO - Lundquist - they have a specialization in sports business as well as a sports marketing research center.

<blockquote>And I'm considering the University of Ohio/Tiffin Sports Management program - this one seems to have strong connections with sports teams and organizations all over the country.</blockquote>
Good school. If it's not too late, you can also check out UO - Lundquist - they have a specialization in sports business as well as a sports marketing research center.

Reply to Post

Related Business Schools

Los Angeles, California 98 Followers 115 Discussions
Washington, District of Columbia 33 Followers 61 Discussions
Eugene, Oregon 6 Followers 9 Discussions
Tempe, Arizona 26 Followers 62 Discussions
San Diego, California 37 Followers 29 Discussions
Tampa, Florida 10 Followers 12 Discussions
Charlotte, North Carolina 17 Followers 18 Discussions
Athens, Ohio 6 Followers 7 Discussions
Tiffin, Ohio 4 Followers 1 Discussion

Other Related Content

Nov 20, 2019

The Financial Times Refreshes EMBA Ranking for 2019

News Nov 20, 2019

The Play by Play of Sports Management MBAs

Article Jul 21, 2015

How specialized MBA programs are a good route into this multifaceted and evergreen industry

Hot Discussions